From the global pandemic to worsening climate crises, the past few years showcase the essential role of science in our lives. The Association of Science Communicators (ASC, formerly Science Talk) is a professional organization growing to meet the needs of the multifaceted science communication community so we can better address the challenges facing our society.
The Association of Science Communicators is a non-profit organization that seeks to empower and inspire the science communication community to expand their communication potential and impact the world. We promote responsible practices in science communication, facilitate discussion and exchange of ideas, enable networking, and foster public engagement.
We envision a welcoming and diverse international community of science communication practitioners and facilitators coming together to share resources and best practices in science communication and build the professionalization of science communication as a field.
As a professional society, we
- Facilitate a strong community of practice for science communicators;
- Support science communicators as they work to reach audiences across multiple platforms and media;
- Expand professional development and certification programs for science communication practitioners and facilitators; and
- Facilitate connections between scientists and communication professionals.
We define our audience broadly! Our goal is to build community and enhance communication success. Our community includes:
- Practitioners who engage in science communication and outreach activities;
- Facilitators who train others, convene groups, and evaluate training effectiveness;
- Researchers who study the science of scicomm, including public opinion of science and strategies to increase effective communication efforts; and
- All others who make up the professional science communication community.
- Science Talk, our annual conference held every spring
- #SciCommMake science-art collaboration, co-sponsored by Sigma Xi
- Mighty network community forum
- Open-sourced science communication blog
- Online courses and workshops
- On-demand and on-location workshops and webinars
We have more programming on the way! Check back here for announcements about our mentoring program for early career science communicators.
Are you interested in starting an ASC regional chapter in your area? We have more information coming soon, but in the meantime, feel free to contact us!