As the newly named Association of Science Communicators, we would love to see submissions for sessions targeted toward professional or veteran science communicators. However, we still encourage proposals for sessions aimed at all audiences and levels of science communication. In an effort to ensure that our audience is getting the information that is most appropriate for them, all speakers will be asked to identify a target audience for their presentation:
- Professional/Veteran science communicators
- Trainee science communicators
- All conference attendees
Please use this opportunity to teach the audience a new science communication skill or concept, or share lessons learned about a project or collaboration. We encourage discussions of science communication theory, evaluation of science communication activities, science communication research, or putting research into practice. We ask that you refrain from pitching your services, products, or business.
- We strongly encourage full completion of up-to-date COVID vaccination for both speakers and attendees at least 2 weeks before the conference.
- While we hope for a robust and safe in-person conference, we know that travel plans may change based on COVID developments in the weeks prior to the conference and we are planning to switch in-person speakers to online if needed. We strongly encourage in-person participation and believe we can hold a safe, fun, and meaningful event.
- All virtual panel and workshop speakers must participate LIVE and in REAL-TIME. Virtual short talks will be pre-recorded (subject to change).
- We require all virtual speakers to attend a “tech check” meeting sometime in the 2 weeks prior to the conference to confirm lighting, sound, and conference schedule. We will work with you to find a tech check meeting time that works with your schedule.
There are four types of speaking opportunities at SCIENCE TALK ’24: Short talk presentation, Workshop, Panel, and Poster or Art.
Submissions for short talks, workshops, and panels are now closed. We are accepting submissions for posters & art through March 6, 2024. Speakers accepted in one of the other session formats may also submit a poster and/or art.
Poster & Art submissions**: https://forms.gle/uc5Qi7pLnB3S84gh6
**Visit the 2024 conference homepage for more information about posters & art.
Short Talk Format & Guidelines:
- Session length: 20 minutes total, including Q&A
- Maximum of 2 presenters
- Presenters will receive 1 full-price registration that can be split with a second presenter, if applicable. Travel is not included.
- If there are 2 presenters, they should plan to present either as both in-person, or both virtual
Workshop Format & Guidelines:
- Session length: 60 or 90 minutes total. Please indicate preferred length on the submission form.
- Maximum of 4 speakers
- Workshop speakers will receive 2 full-price registrations that can be split between speakers as applicable. Travel is not included.
- If there is more than 1 speaker, they should plan to offer their workshop either as all in-person, or all virtual
- Workshop should be interactive, with some formal presentation.
- Audience size: Minimum 20, Maximum 100. Please indicate preferred audience size on form.
Panel Format & Guidelines:
- Session length: 40-45 minutes speaking, 10-15 minutes moderated Q&A
- Minimum 3 to Maximum 4 panelists, PLUS an additional moderator if desired
- Panelists will each receive 1 full-price conference registration per person. Travel is not included.
- Your submission must include at least two prospective panelists (yourself plus one other, or two others if you plan to moderate). We will work with you to identify and recruit other panelists and/or moderators if needed.
- Panelists should plan to present as either all in-person or all virtual